Search This Blog


Thursday, April 1, 2010

My little wonder, my car - Maruti 800

Hello friends, 

Today is supposed to be the end of an era , of common man's luxury , Maruti 800.The small car that changed the way Indians drove and helped put the Indian automobile market into the global big league will stop rolling out of showrooms in major cities from today 


I remember when baba bought a Maruti 800 after selling away our Fiat , it was so much of a luxury for us. My father had asked the dealer to show a affordable yet reliable car. The dealer had immediately showed us Maruti 800 , choice of almost a million by that time. When we drove this car back home my father had a hard time in controlling the light vehicle as he was used to driving the heavy Fiat. It was such a gliding and a smooth feeling , we almost felt we were flying the otherwise tough roads of Delhi. I and my brother used to freak out on this wonderful car while going to our school or to any place for that matter. When I grew up , I often took our car to my college, rejoicing the feeling all the way, of course by not telling my father. It was so very precious for our family that when this car was stolen , we felt as if we have lost some living being from our family. But baba kept his compose and we wondered how could he be so cool...But realised that even baba had felt the same for his car because he again preferred a Maruti 800 only , a replica of our previous one. 


So much is linked with this Car , I just cant wonder that today is the last day for this Car to be supplied to anyone else any more. Now that my father is driving a more stylised version of Maruti Suzuki , I have taken over our old Maruti 800. I drive it to my office now , almost cherrishing all that I have experienced as a child. It has become a part of my life and I feel a lot more for this car now.........as I know I will not be able to buy a similar version any more.

I love you my old little wonderful car....

2 comments:

  1. how sweet..this was good.We never had a maruti but yeah,we went thru the same things when we sold off our fiat..:) Memories last forever aint it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories are bound to hound..and thats what our Maruti 800 wil do to us..good one di..its a reminder to u that u need to drive and take care of our Maruti 800 with more precision..right?:)

    ReplyDelete